Saturday, September 19, 2015

Typography


Type can be a powerful tool when representing concepts.  Lohr, 2008, states that type can even be used to express emotion or to enhance a message (pg. 213). This unit of instruction will focus on the processes involved before food enters the mouth to when its left over products are eliminated, and my images represent important processes students will need to understand.  My learners are freshman with varying reading ability and skill levels.

Lohr explains that type can be aligned to the edges of lines, shapes and pictures to create meaning. I've aligned the word "processes" around a spiral to help the learner understand that some processes are ongoing and don't necessarily begin or end at any one particular spot.  In addition, I've aligned the word absorption with the shape of a semicircle to represent the curves of the stomach and intestines and used color to show how the word absorption seems to dissappear; as if it had absorped into the color black. I've used contrast in my images as well.  In addition to aligning to shapes, Lohr, 2008 explains that contrast can be used to show the "organizational and communicative power of type" (pg. 213). The contrast and dissolved look of the word digestion help to explain the process itself. Proximity is a tool used to show relationships and helps the learner to determine how important the text is to each other and can be found in my last word, elimination.  

My reviewer was a little confused about the first image and wasn't sure what message I wanted my learners to get.  Since processes are ongoing and really don't have a beginning or end, I would probably use a simple circle instead of the spiral effect.  However, the last three words were very easy for my reviewer to understand.  

Lohr, L. (2008). Creating graphics for learning and performance: lessons in visual literacy (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment