Sunday, June 22, 2014

Week Two Reflection

Technology for Everyone

As I reflect back on the weeks activities, all of the discussions surrounding the definition of educational technology, and the wonderful collaborations between peers I have been wondering about something that hasn't been discussed.  There may be that rare student or students who resists your attempts to integrate technology into your curriculum.  My question is: Is technology for everyone?  We live in a ever changing, globally digital, technology rich world, with digital literacy standards to uphold.  I would love to see everyone have access to technology, but are there examples of people who really just do not want anything to do with it?




I experienced this in my classroom last year on a couple of occasions.  First, from parents and then from two students.  The majority of the students attending the district in which I work come from hard working families that live at or below the poverty level.  My students who are freshman, all received Google Chromebooks last year.  When talking to these particular parents, they just didn't want the added responsibility of their child having the Chromebook, and what it would cost to fix it.  In my classroom, I experienced resistance from two students, on separate occasions.  These students had similar reasons why they didn't want to use the technology.  They felt it was easier to write by hand rather than writing on their Chromebook,  they didn't like researching, and they really didn't like having to carry the Chromebook around with them all day long at school.  It is difficult to work with students who are hesitant to use the technology. 


With the last two weeks behind me, hopefully with greater exploration into the definition of educational technology ahead, I will have a solid answer to my question. 





No comments:

Post a Comment