Sunday, October 25, 2015

Color and Depth


In the image below, I incorporated several aspects of the instructional functions of color such as labeling and representing reality.  In addition several reasons for using color are represented in the image and include selection, organization, and integration.

Overall goals of my unit include students learning about the processes of digestion, absorption, and elimination. Students will specifically learn the various places where absorption takes place within the digestive tract including the small intestines.  Lohr , 2008, tells us that "The first function of color is to label or differentiate information" (p 265).  In my image, I used color to emphasize and separate not only the divisions of the small intestines, but the name as well.  I've done this in several locations throughout the image.  In addition, color also helps us understand sections or details (Lohr, 2008, p 265).   By using color, students will be able to visualize the duodenum, jejunum, and ileum not only with respect to location, but with respect to size as well.

I chose the color blue because, as explained in our text, middle spectrum colors are associated with greater acuity, facilitating recognition, and perception.  In addition to the blue, the background of my image is slightly orange.  I wanted to play around with the color wheel and incorporate a complementary color.

Finally, after creating several images for my unit, my reviewer really liked my image.  I'm not going to make any changes at this point.  




Lohr, L.L. (2008).  Creating graphics for learning and performance: Lessons in visual literacy (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle, NJ:Pearson 

No comments:

Post a Comment