Sunday, October 4, 2015

The ACE Model


My instructional unit focuses on creating a healthy plate using information gathered over a period of about two weeks.  Students will be engrossed in learning about the structure and function of the digestive system where they will discover how foods are broken down, why we need certain nutrients, and where those nutrients are absorbed in the body. 

My assignment this week was to use the ACE model to create a visual that supports students’ formation of learning.  During the analyze phase, the A in the ACE model, your main goal is to determine the overall instructional purpose of the visual (Lohr, 2008, p 75) My visual is an organizer where students will gather the main information that will be used to create the healthy plate on their final project.

When I began creating, the C in the ACE model,  I first started with a Venn diagram, much like the example in our textbook, but realized it wouldn’t work because I had too many ideas merging together.  I decided on the table format, because it was simpler and easier for students to understand. All of my food graphics are representational, mainly because my students aren’t learning about a process or trying to interpret something, they are simply learning about foods which have specific nutrients.  I used a couple of tools in fireworks to create the graphics including the glow effect and matching of colors using the color matching tool.  Oftentimes, foods are referred to by their color, for example “green” leafy vegetables or “red” meats.  I used glow colors to represent those colors most often referred to that particular food group or item. 

Finally, I thought about my learners and whether or not it could be effective, efficient, and have appeal to them.  I feel like my visual does a good job helping students to record the information needed for their final project, and the food graphics will certainly help them to make connections to their everyday food choices.  My usual graphic reviewer was very happy with this visual.  The only thing that he suggested I change, was the font I used for headings.  At first I used a decorative font, which he thought was difficult to read.  I changed it to Arial, known for its readability and simplicity.


Lohr, L.L. (2008).  Creating graphics for learning and performance: Lessons in visual literacy (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle, NJ:Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment