Monday, March 9, 2015

Module Three Reflection

EDTECH504: Module Three Reflection
Educational Theory/Educational Technology/Connections to the Classroom.
The plethora of educational know how is overwhelming.  As I worked through the readings, and tried to digest everything that I've learned, it occurred to me that one theory of learning isn't better than another.  Sure, we can definitely relate to those ideas presented by each of the learning theorists, but I think there are several aspects of each of the theories that are relevant to different situations within the learning environment.  I think it's also fair to conclude that students themselves may respond differently to the different learning theories.  Where one student would thrive with an instructor that uses behaviorist learning model in her classroom, another would not. I myself, am drawn to the humanistic learning theories.  I find this theory of learning extremely fascinating because I have a history of challenges, not only from a personal standpoint, but an educational or learning standpoint as well.  Both my personal and educational challenges are interrelated for sure.  With these experiences being part of my very soul, it shouldn't seem surprising that I identify with more aspects of humanism than any other.  I truly feel that when I compare myself, my teaching style, my discipline styles, and even my philosophy of teaching it lines up with humanism. 
Within my classroom, I find that whenever I consider the needs of the whole person, the human being that I am working with, my day runs so much more smoothly than if I try to be an authoritative, uncaring, cold, and emotionless educator.  The old saying "don't smile till Christmas" never worked for me. Students want to see that you are human, just as they are. Students will identify with you more on a personal level, if you have that solid, trusting relationships within the classroom.  Once this is accomplished, even with the toughest kids, motivation is increased dramatically.  I would like to share a TED video which exemplifies my point in forming relationship with students and why it is so important.  It's called: "Every Kid needs a Champion"







As you can see, relationships are critical to learning.  I believe that because I have excellent relationships with my students, I'm more successful as a teacher.  My students respect me more, they do more work for me, I have very few discipline problems, and they aren't afraid to approach me with a problem or question. Relationships are first and foremost, learning is icing on the cake.  I get lots of icing in my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment